The Adriatic Ionian Euroregion was founded on June 30, 2006 in Pula, Region of Istria, Croatia. It represents a model of co-operation that includes trans-national and inter-regional co-operation between regions of the Adriatic coastline.
The Adriatic Euroregion is the institutional framework for jointly defining and solving important issues in the Adriatic area. It consists of 26 members – Regional and local governments from Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro and Albania.
The aims of the AE are the fallowing:
– Forming an area of peace, stability and co-operation
– Protection of the cultural heritage
– Protection of the environment
– Sustainable economic development in particular of tourism, fishery and agriculture
– Solution of transport and other infrastructure issues